Before we talk about American Idol Season 8, I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Many times holidays are consumed with the wonderful activities of family. God gave us family to enjoy. On this weekend, the rush to gather and the pull to commune with loved ones causes us to miss very important moments to meditate on the one man historical revolution we celebrate at Easter. If that is the case for you, take a few minutes today and find some silence to reflect on the man Jesus and the messiah Christ and his mission that was completed during Passover so many year ago. Return to our Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter articles to relive these last three days again.
One21music is covering the Christian music artists on American Idol Season 8. Four of the final seven performers are believers.
We lost Scott MacIntyre last week. In a bizarre ending to the performance results show the American Idol American Idol judges agonized over whether to save Scott. I did not understand their behaviour. While may be the best musician to compete on , he is not a great singer. Check in with us tomorrow when we review Scott’s exit and look back on all of the Christian’s who performed on live television in American Idol Season 8.
I said in last week’s Birth Year Songs Preview that competition is starting to come into focus. Danny Gokey, Kris Allen, Alllison Iraheta and Adam Lambert are the clear front runners for the American Idol Season 8 Top 3. Matt Giraud has been solid through out the competition and he could have a breakthrough that would propel him to the Top 3. Lil Rounds has struggled since the Top 36 eliminations and needs a huge turnaround to survive. I would remind everyone that this time in American Idol Season 7, the judges had written Syesha Mercado off and she made it to the Top 3. Anoop Desai has had his best performances of the season that last two weeks and has landed in the bottom 2 each time.
American Idol Top 7 Power Rankings
- Danny Gokey- Consistency, consistency. That may be the Greek translation of Gokey. Last week he showed-off with a fascinating arrangement of “Stand By Me”. He took a 50 year old song me and made it modern. Danny’s gravel filled vocals and joyful performances have captured the hearts of everyone I know. The real magic for Danny Gokey his the emotional connection to his music, demonstrated in every performance in American Idol Season 8. It has enabled Danny Gokey to capture the hearts of American Idol fans.
- Kris Allen- For the first time in American Idol Season 8, Kris Allen stumbled. He took a dark protest song “All She Wants To Do Is Dance” by Don Henley and performed it as a jazzy, bouncy pop song. Kris seemed to be going through the motions last week, smiling and dancing but not really delivering the song. With that said, Kris has had more higher highs (“Aint’ No Sunshine”) than Danny Gokey and more top notch performances than Adam Lambert. Kris has proven to be a great interpreter of song and we expect him to return to excellence this week.
- Adam Lambert- With his performance of “Mad World” last week, Adam Lambert demonstrated the potential that the American Idol judges have been raving about all season. For the first time in American Idol’s Season 8, Adam stopped competing and he just performed. It was unpretentious and heart felt. It was spectacular. He now needs to be consistent.
- Allison Iraheta- With her performance of “I Can’t Make You Love Me” Allison not only recovered from her previous week’s fall, she also delivered a performance she has needed all season. Her first ballad of the American Idol’s Season 8 showed that she is a great singer. She restrained herself, brought texture to her performance and built on her reputation as a precocious talent who has a long career in the music business.
- Matt Giraud- He also had a comeback this week when he went back to his R&B style, singing Stevie Wonder’s “Part Time Lover”. Matt did everything right with great dancing, an insightful interpretation and an amazing falsetto. With all of that, he was still overshadowed by Danny, Adam and Allison. He has been too inconsistent and has not delivered a breakthrough moment in American Idol Season 8. With all of that said, he is still capable of making something big happen.
- Lil Rounds- What has happened to Lil Rounds? Where did the American Idol Season 8 front runner go? I said early on that she may struggle with arrangements and creativity as the season went on, but she is now struggling to sing well. You can see the frustration on her face. If she does not deliver this week, I think her fate is sealed.
- Anoop Desai- He has reached the limit of American idol Season 8 experience. Anoop’s last two performance have been his best, yet he landed in the bottom 2 each time. Last week he beat out Scott MacIntyre by only 30,000 votes. That is less than a hair. His fate has been cast. His will be gone this week or next.
The American Idol theme this week is “Songs of the Movies”. The mentor will be Quentin Tarntino? He is a director but I don’t know what he has to offer the American Idol Season 8 Top 7 when it comes to developing as a music artist. We will see.
Check us out tomorrow as we review the Chrsitian music artists who made it to the Top 36 on American Idol Season 8.