The American Idol world is all abuzz after presumed winner Adam Lambert was in the Bottom 2 before Matt Giraud was eliminated from the American Idol Season 8 Top 5 (see Results Live Blog). Some have called Adam Lambert the most unique, most talented and simply the best American Idol performer of all time. How could he be in the Bottom 2 of Season 8′s Top 5?
It was not American Idol manipulating the results for dramatic impact you cynics and conspiracy theorists. American Idol has built up a relationship with its audience based on America’s contribution to selecting the next American Idol. To risk the American Idol franchise for dramatic effect is like slapping a bull on the butt in a muddy pen. We are from Texas, think about it.
So what did happen. I think it is a combination of several factors:
- Rumors of Adam Lambert’s life have turned-off American Idol viewers. Shame on us. We have made presumptions about who this young man is without really knowing him. Just like Danny Gokey, everything that the fans do not like about him has been said by others. Let’s judge this young man only on what we know about him.
- Maybe American Idol voters just don’t really like rock music that much. I know that David Cook won last year but his form of rock music was much softer than Adam Lambert’s aggressive style.
- There has been much commentary on American Idol blog sites that Adam Lambert fans split some of their votes for Allison Iraheta.
- Maybe American Idol fans just do not like Adam Lambert’s hair metal vocals, contrived performances and edgy arrangements.
So what does this mean?
- I bet Danny Gokey is redoubling his efforts this week. Danny seemed to turn a corner in last week’s performance ( see my Top 5 Performance Review). He is the only American Idol Season 8 Top 4 performer to not be in the Bottom 2. The presumed winner just stumbled through no fault of his own. Danny Gokey and Kris Allen should expect to receive a bump in votes as fellow Christian music performer Matt Giraud was eliminated.
- Adam Lambert should receive a bounce if his fans truly did split votes. He needs to be careful this week though. The pressure of him being in the Bottom 2 and the temptation of Rock week could cause him to be even more aggressive with his song choices and performances when he really needs to appeal to a broader audience.
- It seems counter intuitive to think Allison Iraheta could be in trouble during Rock week. However, everyone expected her to be in last week’s Bottom 2 not the Top 2. If her bump came from a combination of Lil Rounds voters throwing their votes to her and Adam Lambert fans splitting votes for her, she could lose enough votes to be in the bottom 3.
So this week should be crazy exciting. American Idol Season 8 has the most talent and is turning out to be the most dramatic American Idol I have seen. Join us Tuesday night at 8 edt as we live blog the Rock performances. On Monday I will come back with my Power Rankings and Tuesday morning I will drop some interesting song suggestions on you.
You can download all of the American Idol Season 8 performances from iTunes. This is the best season ever, you gotta have some of this in your iPod.
By the way, I have not forgotten about Kris Allen. He just seems to stay out of these controversies and deliver one great performance after another.