Big news breaking this week on American Idol Season 9 over the last few days. Two weeks ago, front runner Crystal Bowersox walked out of American Idol Season 9. Missing he rfamily, tired of the attention and frustrated with the competitive mood of the show, she walked off the set after the airing of the “Soul/R&B Theme” performances. American Idol host Ryan Seachrest found Bowersox in the parking lot and convinced her to stay.
We have said all along that Crystal Bowersox, as great as she is, doesn’t seem to fit American Idol. For weeks, the judges have told her she seemed constrained. That night does seem to be a turning point for Crystal Bowersox. The last two weeks we have seen Crystal Bowersox introduce the didgeridoo to American Idol in her performance of “Come Together”. Last week she delivered a smoking version of the rockabilly gospel classic “Saved.” Does it really matter? If Crystal Bowersox struggles with the competitive grind of American Idol Season 9, how will she respond to the 19 Entertainment juggernaut that will attempt to polish off all of her interesting quirks to create a bland pop star. Kelly Clarkson played the game for a few years then rebelled her career into oblivion. I am not sure Crystal Bowersox has the patience of Kelly Clarkson.
American Idol Season 9 sent Andrew Garcia and Katie Stevens home last week to take us to the Top 7. Both Andrew and Katie were favorites coming out of Hollywood. Andrew Garcia never seemed comfortable on the live stage. His hard street look was in conflict with his bland acoustic pop style and he was never able to recapture the magic he created during Hollywood week. Katie Stevens is an old soul in a 16 year old body. The judges constantly tried to make her young and current but her best performances of the season were her audition, “At Last”, and “Let It Be”. In three years, we will hear about Katie Stevens recording jazz records and playing the Newport Jazz Festival.
So now American Idol Season 9 is down to the Top 7. No one has asserted themselves as a clear favorite to win. Crystal Bowersox and Christian music artist Michael Lynche are clearly the best singers and most developed performers, but that doesn’t mean they will win. Here are our American Idol Season 9 Top 7:
- Crystal Bowersox is by far the most developed artist and one of the two best singers in American Idol Season 9. However, we have seen season after season when the judges start telling a constestant that “I just don’t have any more words to describe how great you are”, that performer finishes second or third. Crystal Bowersox is the best performer of the Top 7 but I think she is a bit to quirky to win American Idol Season 9.
- Michael Lynche is the best singer on this show. He has sung the most difficult songs (“A Woman’s Work”) and he has yet to hit a sour note. My complaint with Michael Lynche is that he has yet to use his rap skills to create a big exciting moment. He sorely needs a change of pace this week. Until he was saved by the judges two weeks ago, I thought Michael Lynche had a great chance to win American Idol Season 9.
- Lee Dewyze seems to have turned a corner the past three weeks. His loose, rollicking performance of “Treat Her Like A Lady” has apparently proven to Lee that he can compete, perform and have fun at the same time. I have started to see the singer the judges have been talking about throughout American Idol Season 9. If Lee Dewyze continues to improve each week I think his booming growl of a voice could lead him to win American Idol Season 9.
- Casey James is a bit of an enigma for me. The judges love him but I don’t get it. I don’t hate him as a performer I just don’t notice him. As I list the performers each week, he is always the one I forget. He is a middle of the road rocker who can do some country rock. I expect to see him performing with Carrie Underwood on the CMA show in a few year.
Fighting to Get To American Idol Season 9 Top 5
- Siobhan Magnus continues to slide from her early season accolades. After wowing the judges with big, crazy, bombastic performances in the first few weeks Siobhan missed. Her performance of Chaka Kahn‘s “Through The Fire” was possibly the worst single performance of any performer on American Idol Season 9. The judges critiqued her fairly and she has been visibly shaken since. As one of only two girls and a performer of unique style I expect her to make it to the American Idol Season 9 Top 5, but I don’t think she should.
- Tim Urban is the story of American Idol Season 9. Joining the show at the last minute as a substitute for a disqualified candidate, Tim Urban‘s first four performances were pretty bad. However, his smile and good looks kept him in the competition. We thought we were headed for another Sanjaya story. Funny thing is, Christian music artist Tim Urban got better. His last four weeks have ranged from pretty good to last week’s declaration as the best performance of the night. Even the judges have come to love Tim Urban. He has been in the bottom two just about every week so I don’t think Tim Urban will win American Idol Season 9 but he has done enough to create a recording career.
- Aaron Kelly confounds me every week. He is bland while being bombastic. He brings no depth to the songs he sings. His voice has some potential but he hits as many sour notes as he does strong ones. I keep waiting for him to leave every week and yet he is never in the Bottom 2.
Join us Tuesday night as the American Idol Season 9 performs Inspirational songs under the tutelage of Alicia Keys. Then on Wednesday night the reuslts will be integrated into a night of great performances on “Idol Gives Back.”